Introducing the Foldie One - a lightweight, ultra-portable folding e-bike that can take you anywhere.
Bristol, UK - March 22, 2018.
Bristol based company Foldie Bikes is launching its first folding e-bike - the Foldie One - through a crowdfunding campaign in April 2018. The Foldie aims to solve the main shortcomings of conventional e-bikes, through its ultra-portable design, lightweight frame and compactness.
What is an e-bike?
An e-bike is a bicycle with a battery and electric motor that assists when you’re pedalling. You still get the health benefits of cycling, but your speed gets a boost. They shorten commuting times, take the pain out of hills and make headwinds disappear.
The e-bike market: an overview
Demand for electric bikes has never been higher. In the UK the estimated growth of e-bike sales for 2016 was 20% (statistics courtesy of bike-eu.com). Halfords dubbed 2017 the 'year of the e-bike' after a 220% sales increase. However, the UK is still a long way behind many other countries that have long embraced the electric bike – in the Netherlands, e-bikes now account for 57% of all bicycle sales turnover (according to bike-eu.com). Global projections estimate e-bike sales worldwide to grow into a multi-billion-dollar industry by 2025 (statista.com).
Why an e-bike?
According to The Green Commute Initiative, 42% of people who don’t cycle to work say they don’t either because they’re not fit enough, it’s too far and would make their journey time longer, there’s a hill en-route or they don’t want to arrive hot and sweaty.
An e-bike solves all these issues:
- cycling is hard work - e-bikes make cycling easier for everyone irrespective of fitness level
- long journey times - e-bikes are faster and more fun
- hills and headwinds - an e-bikes' motor makes light work of these
- too sweaty - e-bikes provide the health benefits of cycling without the sweat
And there's more…
- avoid traffic jams
- no need to struggle to find a parking space or fork out on parking charges
- huge financial savings - save on car purchase and maintenance costs as well as the ever-increasing fuel costs. According to justebikes.co.uk if those of us living less than 5 miles from work commuted on an e-bike instead of by car, commuters would save £3.7 billion each and every year.
- enormous environmental benefits - if those living less than 5 miles from work commuted on an e-bike instead of by car, it would save 3.9 million tonnes of carbon dioxide each year – greater than the entire transport-related carbon emissions from our NHS (justebikes.co.uk).
- you’ll still get fit - a University of Colorado Boulder study showed that an e-bike will still give you a workout, improving your cardiovascular health, fitness, and aerobic capacity. And you can adjust the assistance level meaning you choose how hard you want to work.
Portability is key: introducing the Foldie
So what makes the Foldie stand out? The most common criticism of e-bikes is their weight, (26% of respondents, according to a Portland State University Study), followed by a fear of theft. Jamie Scott, co-founder of Foldie Bikes, explains further, ‘The steep hills in my hometown of Bristol make an e-bike a tempting prospect. However, the frustrations of taking a large and heavy conventional e-bike on the train led me to search for alternatives. Unable to find the bike I needed, I set out to create a folding e-bike that was lightweight, ultra-portable and stylish. Foldie Bikes was born.
The Foldie One will not only get you to work without breaking a sweat, but it can easily be folded and taken on public transport. And then at the end of your journey it will stash safely and conveniently under your home or office desk.
We believe the Foldie One is more than just a bike; it’s a change in lifestyle that will keep you fit, save you money and help save our planet’.
Stand-out features of the Foldie One:
- a simple three-part folding system, folding down in under three seconds. It can be neatly and safely stored in the boot of you car or in your home or office.
- the lightest folding e-bike in its class, weighing in at just 14.5kg. It can easily be carried or rolled aboard buses, tubes and trains.
- stylish, minimal design incorporating a concealed 7ah Samsung re-chargeable battery in the seat post, that will give you a range of 30 miles on a single charge.
- powered by a 220W torque sensing motor and has 5 levels of assistance allowing you to choose how hard you want to work.
- capable of propelling you up to a speed of 25km/h as well as up hills with ease.
- on-the-go USB device charging.
- bluetooth mobile fitness app.
The Foldie One crowdfunding campaign will be launching next month but the bike is already available at a Super Early Bird Discount via pre-sale on https://foldie.bike/ saving you 40%.
About Us: Foldie Bikes, founded in 2017 by Jamie and Katy Scott, was created to bring a new generation of lightweight, high-tech folding e-bikes to the market, aiming to introduce more people to the health and environmental benefits of cycling.